From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How to install to a RAID set?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 21:20:36
1 Nuitari posted <Pine.LNX.4.64.0605061613320.2752@××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 06 May 2006 16:18:05 -0400:
3
4 > After quite a few experience with most software RAID that require drivers
5 > I have come to the conclusion that they are not worth anything. You are
6 > much better off using Linux software raid which will work even if you
7 > change chipsets, as in upgrading your computer in a later point in time.
8 > Also there are quite a few software Raid out there that require you to
9 > rebuild the Raid if you ever update the Bios.
10
11 That has been my conclusion as well. I'm /extremely/ happy with my
12 quad-SATA Linux kernel based RAID setup. One of the benefits is that one
13 doesn't have to choose a single RAID type for the entire disk set. I'm
14 also counting on the fact that I can switch the SATA controller to
15 any chipset I want at any time, or upgrade BIOS, or anything else, without
16 having to rebuild the raid.
17
18 The layout here:
19
20 * A small RAID-1 for /boot. Set up correctly, one can boot from any of
21 the drives in the RAID-1. I have four drives, and I can set the BIOS to
22 boot from any of the four.
23
24 * A large partitioned RAID-6, for two-way redundancy, yet it's still
25 two-way striped as well. The first partition is root (incl. /usr and
26 /var, thereby keeping the portage database in sync with what's actually on
27 the partitions), the second rootbak, a snapshot of root copied off
28 periodically, allowing me to boot to it in the event the main root won't
29 boot, for some reason. I can also boot to it for recovery if portage
30 breaks on my main root. It's identically sized to root, and likewise
31 includes its own synced /usr and /var/db/portage, tho of course root and
32 rootbak aren't in sync with each other except at the moment I've just
33 finished a backup snapshot.
34
35 Note the choice of partitioned RAID, rather than LVM, for root and
36 rootbak. That's deliberate, as Linux kernel RAID is just that --
37 in-kernel, while LVM requires some userland help. That means if I used
38 LVM for root, I'd have to hassle an initramfs (formerly initrd), something
39 I can avoid by putting root (and rootbak) on partitioned RAID. The kernel
40 is loaded by GRUB from any of the /boot RAID-1 images, and the kernel is
41 all that's required to load /root, as it has everything built-in that it
42 would need.
43
44 * A third partition on that RAID-6, bigger than the root and rootbak
45 partitions, used with LVM. The LVM logical volumes on this partition
46 contain /home and homebak, /usr/local and a backup, /var/log with no
47 backup, mail and news partitions with a backup for mail, not news, my
48 media partition and its backup, the portage packages dir (I use
49 FEATURES=buildpkg) and its backup, etc.
50
51 * A partitioned RAID-0 with two partitions, /tmp on one, and a second
52 partition containing the portage tree, the ccache cache, and the kernel
53 tree (symlinked from /usr/src), each in its own subdir. Note that all of
54 these benefit very highly from the RAID-0, while not needing any
55 redundancy as they are easily redownloaded or rebuild.
56
57 With this setup, I have about the best mix possible, easy booting with no
58 serious complications, redundancy both in RAID and in snapshot backup
59 where I need it, and no hardware lockin -- I can replace two of the four
60 drives at once without losing anything but the throw-away data on the
61 RAID-0, and can switch out SATA chipsets and/or motherboard without losing
62 anything, either. It's a combination no hardware RAID could ever match.
67 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
68 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
72 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list