From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] locale problems
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:08:58
1 I've had an ongoing locale problem with my 64-bit machine only for
2 some time. I don't really understand locales - *exactly* what they do
3 (different character sets, etc.) and how to control them properly.
4 Some set of portage updates broke things along the way. Now things
5 work but I've got warning messages all over the place. Can someone
6 point me toward what is the root cause of this? Thanks.
7
8 1) When I run layman (and other things) I see these messages about LC_CTYPE
9
10 lightning ~ # layman -s pro-audio
11 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
12 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
13 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
14 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
15 * Running command "/usr/bin/svn update "/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio""...
16 svn: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
17 svn: warning: environment variable LANG is en_US
18 svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
19 At revision 1347.
20 *
21 * Success:
22 * ------
23 *
24 * Successfully synchronized overlay "pro-audio".
25 lightning ~ #
26
27 I've rerun locale-gen to no avail:
28
29 lightning ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
30 #en_US ISO-8859-1
31 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
32 lightning ~ # local
33 local locale locale-gen localedef
34 lightning ~ # locale-gen
35 * Generating 1 locales (this might take a while) with 1 jobs
36 * (1/1) Generating en_US.UTF-8 ...
37 [ ok ]
38 * Generation complete
39 lightning ~ # layman -s pro-audio
40 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
41 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
42 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
43 * Overlay "rostov" is missing a "description" entry!
44 * Running command "/usr/bin/svn update "/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio""...
45 svn: warning: cannot set LC_CTYPE locale
46 svn: warning: environment variable LANG is en_US
47 svn: warning: please check that your locale name is correct
48 At revision 1347.
49 *
50 * Success:
51 * ------
52 *
53 * Successfully synchronized overlay "pro-audio".
54 lightning ~ #
55
56 Tonight when running k3b I got a message that it's upset of the
57 character set. It says I'm using strange stuff I don't recognize:
58
59 System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
60 Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
61 filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
62 has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all.
63 An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data
64 projects.
65 Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
66 environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
67 take care of this.
68
69 As I say, I don't understand any of this. This machine was built 4
70 years ago and has been updated along the way. Why should problems show
71 up now after all these years?
72
73 Another problem we had was that CUPS wouldn't print across the network
74 until I commented out the en_US ISO-8859-1 entry. Again, that's been
75 there for years. Why should it fail now?
76
77 Thanks in advance and no big rush.
78
79 Cheers,