From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't Emerge Thunderbird-5.0/6.0
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:40:35
1 Frank Peters posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2011 01:51:59 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Sylpheed has undergone a lot of development over the years, but I really
4 > haven't noticed. Email is a simple medium and my Sylpheed has always
5 > been simply configured. I don't bother with any of the advanced
6 > features.
7
8 > I cannot comment on claws which I haven't used, but it is essentially
9 > Sylpheed with a lot of extra features incorporated, and, again, it is
10 > those features which I don't require.
11
12 Thanks. You explained quite well. =:^)
13
14 FWIW, the pkovar (Petr Kovar) name may sound familiar to you as one of
15 the sylpheed documentation maintainers (his name rather leapt out at me
16 when I was reading the docs, for reasons I'm about to explain). He's a
17 gnome guy, mainly doing translations and documentation, and doesn't claim
18 to be a coder. However, I know him from his work with pan (gtk2/3 nntp
19 client).
20
21 It seems pan's former long-time maintainer, Charles Kerr, lost interest a
22 few years ago as he no longer does news on anything like a regular
23 basis. He asked for people to pick it up, but at first, nobody with both
24 the skill and the interest in pan as a news client came forward. Those
25 were some dark days. Eventually (a couple years later), khaley (nobody
26 seems to know what the "k" is for, but he goes lostcoder on github)
27 cloned the repo and started, initially, mostly collecting the various
28 distro patches floating around. He (if it is indeed a he) has become the
29 de facto community maintainer, but for whatever personal reasons, doesn't
30 seem particularly interested, make that not interested at all, in doing
31 the gnome thing, where the bugtracker and official repo are, etc.
32
33 Well a few months later here comes pkovar, without any developer skill
34 but with an interest in pan and an already active gnome account. The two
35 did the obvious teaming, and now pkovar is the "front man", while khaley
36 is the technical side. Combined with my long-time presence on the pan
37 lists (first post in late 2002), and another developer who seems to
38 complement khaley's conservative bent with a very active experimental
39 branch, pan actually has more people working on it now than it has in a
40 very long time, at least since I've been around, perhaps ever! =:^)
41
42 So as I said, seeing the pkovar name on the sylpheed docs was quite a
43 pleasant surprise, so while claws seems more down my alley, I'm now
44 devouring everything I happen upon (like this subthread) involving
45 sylpheed with quite some interest. At some point I may ask him similar
46 questions to what I asked you, but I haven't, yet.
47
48 Meanwhile, ckerr seems to have transferred at least part of his interest
49 to transmission, the gtk-based bittorrent client. I'm not much into
50 torrenting and when I do torrent, ktorrent has been my client of choice,
51 so I don't know a whole lot about transmission, but it's interesting
52 seeing people you know from working with them on one app, working on
53 others, too. And, I guess it shows the degree to which I've become
54 involved in the community, that I can recognize the names as these people
55 move from interest to interest, too. My personal finances, etc, have
56 never been such that I could attend conferences and the like, but the
57 connections are beginning to come, even without that. =:^)
62 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman