From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: mldonkey update issues
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 06:56:52
1 Mauro Maroni <mmaroni@××××××.ar> posted
2 200702142151.54947.mmaroni@××××××.ar, excerpted below, on Wed, 14 Feb
3 2007 21:51:54 -0300:
4
5 > While doing a general upgrade yesterday, I noticed that mldonkey fails
6 > almost at the end (see below) and emerge ends. I tried again today but got
7 > the same result. I did not find any bug related to this. Did anyone know
8 > where is the problem?
11 >>>> Merging net-p2p/mldonkey-2.8.2-r1 to /
12 > --- /usr/
13 > --- /usr/bin/
14 >>>> /usr/bin/mlnet
15 >>>> /usr/bin/mld_hash
16 >>>> /usr/bin/get_range
17 >>>> /usr/bin/copysources
18 >>>> /usr/bin/make_torrent
19 >>>> /usr/bin/subconv
20 >>>> /usr/bin/mldonkey
21 > --- /etc/
22 > --- /etc/conf.d/
23 > Traceback (most recent call last):
24 > File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 5299, in ?
25 > retval = emerge_main()
26 > File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 5294, in emerge_main
27 > myopts, myaction, myfiles, spinner)
28 > File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 4761, in action_build
29 > retval = mergetask.merge(pkglist, favorites, mtimedb)
30 > File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2999, in merge
31 > prev_mtimes=ldpath_mtimes)
32 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 3699, in doebuild
33 > vartree=vartree, prev_mtimes=prev_mtimes)
34 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 3907, in merge
35 > mydbapi=mydbapi, prev_mtimes=prev_mtimes)
36 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7768, in merge
37 > cleanup=cleanup, mydbapi=mydbapi, prev_mtimes=prev_mtimes)
38 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7364, in treewalk
39 > if
40 > self.mergeme(srcroot,destroot,outfile,secondhand,"",cfgfiledict,mymtime):
41 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7640, in mergeme
42 > join(offset, x), cfgfiledict, thismtime):
43 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7640, in mergeme
44 > join(offset, x), cfgfiledict, thismtime):
45 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7661, in mergeme
46 > if self.isprotected(mydest):
47 > File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 7116, in isprotected
48 > mydata = self._installed_instance.getcontents().get(filename, None)
49 > AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get' amd64 ~ #
50 > amd64 ~ #
51
52 I track portage updates and watch what bugs they are fixing. As a result, I
53 see a lot of portage bugs, and this would appear to be one -- at least
54 indirectly. Even if a file is corrupt or something, portage should quit
55 with an intelligent error. That it crashes with a traceback therefore
56 indicates either a direct portage bug, or at minimum (and perhaps more
57 likely), a bug in that a file or something was corrupt that it should have
58 been prepared to handle but wasn't.
59
60 I'd suggest filing it as a portage bug (of course, make sure your portage is
61 up to date and try it again before you file, if it's not, in case the bug
62 has already been fixed) and letting the experts deal with it. They are
63 likely to tell you something either in your currently merged version or in
64 portage's record of it is corrupt, but will be able to point you to what it
65 is, and in the process likely fix the traceback such that portage quits with
66 a coherent error that at least lets the user know what was wrong so they
67 know where to start looking to fix it.
68
69 You may be able to fix the issue yourself by unmerging whatever version you
70 have currently merged, or possibly deleting the record of it in /var/db/
71 portage, then remerging the old version to give portage a correct record so
72 it can then properly unmerge it when you upgrade. However, that will likely
73 destroy the evidence that the portage folks need to trace and fix their bug,
74 and there's a tiny chance it could make things worse. It'd be much better
75 to file the bug and let the portage experts have at it. They should be able
76 to tell you what's happening and how to fix it, tho from the bugs I've seen,
77 they do sometimes have you run an intermediate patch that doesn't fix it,
78 but helps them to better pin down the problem.
83 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
86 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list