From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [OT] AGPART
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 02:01:10
1 Jeffrey Gardner <je_fro@g.o> posted 463B6F3A.9050000@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 04 May 2007 12:36:58 -0500:
3
4 > Processor type and features
5 > [ ] IOMMU support
6
7 Note that for AMD64, if you have >3.5 gig memory, you'll WANT IOMMU
8 support, which uses the APGART hardware on AMD. On Intel, they don't
9 have a hardware IOMMU but the kernel emulates it, using the same basic
10 options, so I believe you'll want it there as well.
11
12 Only four gig of memory is addressable from legacy 32-bit PCI devices,
13 and there's a memory hole at the top of 4-gig memory (so beyond 3.5 gig)
14 in ordered to allow device i/o memory access. With the correct BIOS
15 settings, the machine will remap the unavailable memory behind that
16 memory hole above 4 gig, but it and any memory you had beyond 4 gig
17 already will not be directly accessible to DMA and the like from those
18 legacy 32-bit PCI devices. IOMMU = input/output memory management unit.
19 The hardware device maps high memory onto accessible addresses in the
20 memory hole for the devices that need it, and of course the software
21 emulation necessary for Intel machines does the same thing.
22
23 Without that IOMMU, access to that > 4 gig area (because of the memory
24 hole, to memory above ~3.5 gig) will be limited, and much slower for some
25 devices if they work at all. Here, I simply cannot boot without IOMMU
26 support (unless I disable part of my memory), as the kernel panics when
27 it tries to read my hard drives. Apparently, either the SATA chipset
28 they use or the kernel drivers supporting them are legacy 32-bit, and
29 without the IOMMU, they simply cannot see the memory they are supposed to
30 be DMAing stuff into.
31
32 Of course, if you are still on legacy 32-bit x86 or have < 3.5 gig of
33 memory (or are on a different arch entirely), the rules are somewhat
34 different. I'm not sure how the IOMMU may be used there, or how much
35 attempting to do without it might slow things down.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list