From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unable to execute binary files on CLI
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:20:24
1 "Tonko Mulder" <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 43ba12950811130030h6405b74aia30fff4b38424383@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:30:09 +0100:
4
5 > for some reason I'm unable to execute binary files and script files
6 > (e.g. bash/sh/python).
7 > If I put the interpreter in front of the shell script then I'm able to
8 > execute the file, but I'm unable to run it as one would normal run it.
9
10 Three possibilities (in addition to what Nadav already mentioned, user
11 exec permissions and a missing or corrupted /usr/bin/env):
12
13 1: Mount options. At one point some years ago (back on Mandrake) I had /
14 tmp mounted noexec, forgot about it, and then had something (I actually
15 wanted) try to run from there. I was rather new to Linux at the time,
16 and checked permissions and all sorts of stuff I thought /might/ be the
17 problem, before I figured it out. "Doh!" <said while smacking my
18 forehead> "Of /course/ it can't execute, /tmp's mounted noexec!
19
20 So I don't know your file system volume layout, but if it's happening on
21 only one mounted volume, that could be your problem.
22
23 2: Kernel executable type options:
24
25 In menuconfig, under Executable file formats / Emulations, verify that
26 IE32 Emulation is turned on (IA32_EMULATION=y in your .config, I noted
27 that the file report you posted said ELF 32-bit, and this is of course an
28 amd64 list so I'm assuming a 64-bit kernel and main system, you'll need
29 that 32-bit kernel option enabled to run 32-bit code).
30
31 For certain types of executables you may need Kernel support for MISC
32 binaries (BINFMT_MISC), located in the same submenu, turned on (and its
33 pseudofs mounted) as well. I don't have it turned on here and haven't
34 run into problems, but read the associated help anyway, and if necessary,
35 the other documentation it mentions.
36
37 3. If it's 32-bit you're looking at, perhaps your multilib config is
38 messed up. But since I don't do servitudeware (see the sig) and all the
39 freedomware I run has been ported to amd64 for quite some time, I have no
40 reason for multilib and thus run the 64-bit-only no-multilib profile, so
41 I'll be of little help in that regard.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman