From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel Cryptographic API
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:06:12
1 On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:17:14 -0400
2 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 05:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
5 > BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > While I am not a kernel coder - that would be my suspicion - that
9 > > the Crypto API is for any kind of cryptography inside the kernel.
10 > > OpenSSL itself is a cryptographic API, and is platform independent,
11 > > so no, it would not use the kernel API.
12 >
13 > Thanks for all the responses.
14 >
15 > I wasn't sure if the Crypto API was purely for use within kernel
16 > space or if user space applications could have access to it in the
17 > same manner as with other kernel system routines. But I guess that
18 > the Crypto API is just for the use of the kernel.
19
20 There is some movement however: http://lwn.net/Articles/401548/. So in
21 the future it might be available for user-space ...we will see...
22
23 Robert
27 Robert Cernansky
28 E-mail: hslists2@××××××.sk