From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] conversion sda to lvm2 questions
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:34:16
1 i'd like to commute my laptop system to lvm2, but before doing that i'd like
2 some hints.
3 first, i'd like to know if there's a way of passing an existing gentoo
4 installation on a hda disk going through the sda stack (i needed to do that
5 cause it was the only thing that fixed a problem with my ata disk going only
6 on udma-33 after kernel 2.20) with sata-pata piix controller which is still
7 experimental. i've taken a look around but haven't actually seen a document
8 explaining if it is possible to do that and how to do that.
9 second, i'd like to know if there's a need for a raid enabled motherboard
10 and more than one disk to go on lvm. i only have a 100gb disk that i'd like
11 to convert to lvm with no raid.
12 and last, does it make sense doing a passage to lvm? i currently run into
13 some problems with my root partition that gets filled and that i always have
14 to watch the free space on it, so if i don't pass to raid i'll try to
15 duplicate the partition on a greater one.
16 i was forgetting: i'd like to use it on amd64. is there any problem? i have
17 seen around some problems with lvm and amd64 some of them marked as solved,
18 so i'd like to know if there could be problems with this arch.
19 thanks for your help.
22 dott. ing. beso