From: David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Installing into a 32-bit chroot?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 01:58:09
1 > Hello all,
2 >
3 > I'd like to see if I can install gambas into my 32-bit chroot jail. It's
4 > masked out of everything but vanilla x86 systems, which I think is what I
5 > have in /mnt/gentoo32 (the chroot jail).
6 >
7 > Using emerge to install gambas brings all sorts of other things, including a
8 > duplicate xorg-x11 installation, which seems a bit excessive to me. How do
9 > I go about emerging into /mnt/gentoo32 with full X functionality etc, but
10 > without all the baggage? Perhaps someone's already done this and can advise
11 > me.
12
13 A year ago I made a chroot to run gnucash in. I just did an emerge in the
14 chroot and made all of xorg - ate the compile time and disk space. You just
15 need the Xclient libraries, but it wasn't worth the effort to figure out
16 what could be pruned.
17
18 To run gnucash I start an sshd service in the chroot listening on port 2232
19 ( and leave it running indefinitely). SSHD is configured to do X forwarding.
20 You do NOT start the X server in the chroot.
21 In 64 bit I created a /home/me/home32 directory in my 64 bit home directory
22 /home/me. Then I made /home available to the chroot.
23 As per the the 32 bit chroot instructions I created a user id for myself that
24 matches the 64 bit UID with home directory /home/me/home32.
25 I also had to set up the ssh keys, known hosts files, etc.
26
27 Then I use the command
28 ssh -X -p2232 localhost
29 to connect to the chroot
30 and execute gnucash.
31
32 I have discovered that not all X clients are happy to talk to an X server that
33 is running on a machine with a different word size. This is not chroot
34 specific and it affects both 32 bit client to 64 bit server and 64 bit client
35 to 32 bit server. My short list, from experience is
36 gnome xterm - OK
37 emacs - dies on first mouse click
38 xeyes - OK
39 gnucash - spews a steady stream of X errors/warnings, but does its thing.
40 (sometimes you are lucky)
41 wine - dies on startup IRCC
42
43 So you roll the dice with gambas.
44
45 If any X perts can explain how to overcome this, I'd like to know. I vaguely
46 recall looking briefly and deciding that each client had to be modified.
47
48 Perhaps VNC would work better than X through ssh. Anybody have any experience?
51 > I don't really understand properly how chroots work, and in particular
52 > whether it's possible to install, e.g., gambas in /mnt/gentoo32 and have it
53 > use libraries etc. elsewhere. Or do I really have to install a virtually
54 > complete gentoo 32-bit system to enable it to work?
55 >
56 > --
57 > Rgds
58 > Peter Humphrey