From: "Florian D." <flockmock@×××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:19:14
1 Homer Parker wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 11:54 +0200, Florian D. wrote:
3 >
4 >>no, this is possible with software-raid, too. It is even possible to
5 >>dynamically increase your array by adding new disks to it or by
6 >>increasing the size of each partition.
9 > I'd be interested in documentation supporting the resizing of Linux
10 > RAID partitions, as all of the documentation I found said it wasn't
11 > possible.
12 >
13 In the raidtools-package, there is a utility called raidreconf, which
14 allows you to add new disks to a raid5 array. With mdadm (which is
15 otherwise to be favoured, because it doesn´t rely on a configuration
16 file), it is 'only' possible to add devices to a raid1 array - or to
17 resize the partitions of a raid1/4/5/6 array accordingly (mdadm --grow)
18 - alas, you´re right, documentation is very scanty and I cannot offer
19 other sources of information as man-pages or sth. like:
20 http://www.issociate.de/board/post/213676/
21
22 Everything of the above should also be possible with EVMS, but this
23 requires a lot of reading, because they are using a different terminology
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list