From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Java on AMD64
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:41:12
1 On 9/20/07, Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > [ebuild NS ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02 USE="X alsa -doc -examples
4 > > -jce (-nsplugin)" 0 kB
5 > >
6 > The flag is masked. You have to first unmask the flag if you want to
7 > enable it. You should be able to do that in
8 > /etc/portage/package.use.unmask if I understood the thread correctly.
9 >
10 > Also, for a 32-bit plugin, you need the emul-x86-java package.
11 >
12 > Sebastian Redl
13
14 Thanks Sebastian. I'll try it.
15
16 Really I need to go look for a Wiki page for doing this on 64-bit
17 Gentoo . This machine has been running 64-bit for at least 2 years and
18 this hasn't been important up until now so I'm in need of a solution
19 that is really equivalent to what my wife and son have on their 32-bit
20 Gentoo machines.
21
22 For a 32-bit plugin must I run a 32-bit version of Firefox? (I.e. - I
23 guess firefox-bin, correct?)
24
25 If the answer is yes then, if you know, what is the process of getting
26 Flash running in the same browser? Any problems? There used to be
27 IIRC.
28
29 Basically, can any browser, preferably Firefox, be made functionally
30 equivalent in terms of all web-based multimedia (Java, Flash, playing
31 audio and video files, etc.) with the same browser running on Gentoo
32 32-bit?
33
34 Thanks!
35