From: James Pattinson <jamesp@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] APIC problems
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:50:39
1 Hi All
2
3 I bought my first amd64 yesterday, and have build from stage1 using the
4 2005.1 minimal install CD. Everything's great apart from poor network
5 performance. I get 5.6mb/s sustained whilst transferring a 500mb file,
6 where I would normally get twice that on 100Mbit ethernet. I know it's
7 not the ftp server at fault as I can use another box to tranfer the same
8 file at the correct speed.
9
10 I get these messages in the syslog while this file is being transferred:
11
12 APIC error on CPU0: 00(40)
13 APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
14 APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
15 APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
16 APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
17 APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
18
19 Also the errors counter in /proc/interrups is incremented by 6 as I
20 would expect.
21
22 I've tried the gentoo liveCD running kernel 2.6.12-gentoo and the one
23 I've compiled which is 2.6.13-gentoo-r3.
24
25 The built in ethernet interface is a Realtek based on the 8139too
26 module. I have also tried slotting in a older 3com 3c59x card which
27 exactly the same results.
28
29 If I disable APIC either by "noapic" on the kernel command line, or
30 disabling it in the BIOS, I get a system which boots very very slowly
31 and a network card that doesn't work at all.
32
33 Has anyone seen anything like this? Or have I just bought a crap
34 motherboard? It's an Optronix OP-K9A200G-MLF. I have asked the vendor if
35 they have a BIOS fix but I'm not holding my breath!
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 James