From: DR GM SEDDON <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initrd
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:41:30
1 Hi,
2 Yes, this worked for booting.
3
4 rc-update add net.rth0 default gave
5 'already installed in runlevel default'
6 and
7 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
8 'dhcpd:missing required function interface_is_up'
9
10 The final message is the same as vI receive when booting.
11 Gavin.
14 Drake Donahue wrote:
15
16 > The entry:
17 > "kernel /kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
18 > ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev"
19 > in grub.conf should be on one line -- sorry --
20 > I see that it was split into two lines at the space between 8192 and
21 > real_root when it came back to me through the mail list handler and my
22 > mail client. Probably happened to you also. As " real_root=/dev/hda3
23 > udev " are kernel arguments they need to be on the same line as "kernel".
24 > This should solve the first problem.
25 > Make the change above to grub.conf .
26 > Reboot.
27 >
28 > I think the second problem is not related to the first. There is
29 > probably a problem with the network settings. Page 40 to 46 of the
30 > amd64 gentoo handbook are a good start on the networking problem.
31 > Short summary follows. My best guess is that adding dhcpcd to rc is
32 > necessary and not documented.
33 >
34 > May I suggest (presuming your intent was to have the network mount
35 > automatically and you connect via ethernet):
36 >
37 > Run the command:
38 >
39 > dir /sbin/dh*
40 >
41 > If the response is "/sbin/dhcpcd" then the dhcp client demon is
42 > installed. If "No such file or directory" error occurs, dhcpcd needs
43 > to be emerged. (Or you wanted to use some other dhcp client.)
44 >
45 > Run the command: (modified if you wanted to use and have emerged some
46 > other dhcp client.)
47 >
48 > rc-update add dhcpcd default
49 >
50 > nano -w /etc/conf.d/hostname
51 > and
52 > (Set the HOSTNAME variable to your hostname)
53 > HOSTNAME="yourcomputername"
54 >
55 > nano -w /etc/conf.d/domainname
56 >
57 > (Set the DNSDOMAIN variable to your domain name)
58 > DNSDOMAIN="yourhomenetworkname"rc-update add domainname defaultnano -w
59 > /etc/conf.d/net
60 > (should be blank or all lines commented)
61 >
62 > rc-update add net.eth0 default
63 >
64 > /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
67 > ----- Original Message ----- From: "DR GM SEDDON"
68 > <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
69 >
70 > <snip>
71 >
72 >> Now it boots but asksme to
73 >> 'specifya device to boot' it boots when I enter 'dev/hda3'. It is
74 >> specified in 'grub.conf' and 'fstab'. Any ideas?
75 >>
76 >> Also, I get 'dhcpd:required function 'interface _is_up' but
77 >> networking isn't working. And, I get 'netmount not started'. Are
78 >> these issues related. Can you help?
79 >> Regards,
80 >> Gavin.
85 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list