From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Incipient hardware failure?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 01:12:05
1 Peter Humphrey posted <42CEA2DC.70205@××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below, on
2 Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:59:24 +0100:
3
4 > I'll try it soon with parallel instances to see if that will flush out
5 > some swap (while running in serial the disk activity is in flushing and
6 > re-reading file buffers)
7
8 Note that there's a kernel command line parameter, something like mem=512M
9 or some such (from memory), that will manually tell the kernel how much
10 physical memory to use. It was designed for systems that had more memory
11 than the kernel could detect, some years ago, but it also works well for
12 telling the kernel to use less memory than you actually have, if you want
13 to do some experimentation or something, perfect for forcing more swapping
14 activity than you'd normally get (zero swapping <g>), or for watching the
15 kernel OOM (out of memory) killer in action, if you don't have enough
16 memory including swap.
17
18 I'd know how to add it to my LILO kernel command line, but couldn't tell
19 you how to add it to GRUB, tho it shouldn't be difficult.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
25 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list