From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Incipient hardware failure?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 01:12:05
Peter Humphrey posted <42CEA2DC.70205@××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below,  on
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:59:24 +0100:

> I'll try it soon with parallel instances to see if that will flush out > some swap (while running in serial the disk activity is in flushing and > re-reading file buffers)
Note that there's a kernel command line parameter, something like mem=512M or some such (from memory), that will manually tell the kernel how much physical memory to use. It was designed for systems that had more memory than the kernel could detect, some years ago, but it also works well for telling the kernel to use less memory than you actually have, if you want to do some experimentation or something, perfect for forcing more swapping activity than you'd normally get (zero swapping <g>), or for watching the kernel OOM (out of memory) killer in action, if you don't have enough memory including swap. I'd know how to add it to my LILO kernel command line, but couldn't tell you how to add it to GRUB, tho it shouldn't be difficult. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Incipient hardware failure? Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>