From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: mount ext3 with ext4 driver
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 21:37:47
1 Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl> posted
2 40bb8d3b0905021016k6241308ek660351f5fa700f8a@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 02 May 2009 19:16:54 +0200:
4
5 > How stable do you think that the ext4 module actually is? (using recent
6 > kernels, e.g. 2.6.29)
7
8 Please kill the HTML posting. Many users on these lists don't like it,
9 believing a message worth reading is worth reading in plain text, and
10 that HTML messages are therefore for spammers, crackers, AOLer types and
11 others who obviously think HTML must be needed to make their message
12 worth reading, since they couldn't stick with plain text.
13
14 As for the question, I'd hold off on ext4 for anything you care about and
15 don't have backups for. ext4 is still young enough that there were some
16 very major controversy and issues debated on LKML for 2.6.29 and into
17 2.6.30. Thus, for something like /tmp, and the Gentoo tree that can
18 simply be re-synced if there's issues, yes, but for /, /usr and /home,
19 you're tempting fate unless you keep backups updated frequently enough
20 that you're willing to lose what's not backed up.
21
22 It's also worth noting that as a result of the ensuing firestorm on LKML,
23 ext3 has some changes in the upcoming 2.6.30 as well, with data=writeback
24 improved and made the default (over the previous data=ordered), which
25 should dramatically improve its performance in some cases, but at the
26 cost of somewhat weakened reliability after a crash. (It's possible some
27 files may be truncated to zero-length, that would be recovered correctly
28 under data=ordered, but the situation isn't as bad as it was before the
29 changes.)
30
31 Thus, ext3 users who value their data may wish to do a bit more research
32 before they upgrade to 2.6.30, and evaluate whether the improved new
33 default data=writeback is sufficient for them, or whether they want to
34 stick with the old default and specifically configure data=ordered.
35 (Those using data=journal won't be affected, as that has always had to be
36 specifically configured..)
37
38 Personally, while I'm using reiserfs here and it's still data=ordered by
39 default thru 2.6.30-rc4 at least (and thus, shouldn't be changed
40 until .31, if changed at all), there's no way I'd even consider
41 data=writeback, improved or not. I have too many bad memories of zeroed
42 out files and /so/ looked forward to getting data=ordered on reiserfs, to
43 even think about data=writeback. It might indeed be faster, but it's
44 something I'll be using. I like my data, thank you very much!
45
46 As for ext4, it's not a question I'm dealing with (I'm waiting for btrfs
47 to stabilize before switching off of resierfs, here), but given the
48 recent ext4 issues that sparked the whole LKML flamefest, I'd not
49 consider it for data I wanted to keep until at least 2.6.31, which of
50 course hasn't started yet, so no one knows what it'll bring and whether
51 ext4 will be basically done after .30, or whether there'll be more major
52 changes in .31.
53
54 If you're interested in more, check the last three weeks' or so LWN
55 (lwn.net) kernel pages. There's links to the LKML threads, as well as to
56 the Ubuntu bug that kicked it all off. (Some proprietaryware NVidia
57 driver folks were crashing frequently, and those who had chosen the new
58 Ubuntu ext4 option noticed their gnome settings files were zeroed out
59 after they rebooted. That particular bug is papered over for 2.6.29 and
60 generally fixed for 2.6.30, but there's still a smaller risk as long as
61 you use the default data=writeback, the 2.6.30 ext3 default as well. So
62 as far as is known, with .30, ext4 SHOULD be as stable as ext3 in the
63 same data= mode, but the fact that such things are still coming up means
64 nobody's sure there aren't more such things to come up, thus, people who
65 value their data will want to wait to at least 2.6.31 before trying ext4,
66 and will want to be sure they specifically set data=ordered for ext3
67 before switching to 2.6.30.)
72 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman