From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:04:26
1 Benny Pedersen posted on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:44:57 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On March 16, 2015 7:47:24 AM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> So I'm simply going by what I know to be out there, actually available.
6 >
7 > http://www.soekris.eu/ if you want it ? :)
8 >
9 > there is more then one model, and its possible to build as needed, here
10 > i have a now end of life net4801 with 7 ethernet ports, will build
11 > something with it atleast for me to learn how to build a 10Gbe with
12 > gentoo, it just still a dream, but if one follow ones dreams it might
13 > come true one day
14
15 Interestingly enough, I had the soekris.com site (US) bookmarked. A
16 dream from some years ago... Very nice indeed! But also pricey! The
17 base board (with CPU and RAM) w/ 4x-gigabit Ethernet is over $400, near
18 $600 in the 19" 1U case w/ power supply and room for two 4x-gigE PCIE
19 cards ($134 each, separate). That's with the maxed out 1.6 GHz Atom and
20 2 gig RAM (soldered on). Storage is separate.
21
22 So 1 less gigabit port than the 1+4 solution I'm looking at, and the
23 populated board alone is over $400, or near $600 including case and
24 power, while Thanasis' solution looks to be $325-ish for everything.
25
26 But if I had money, the Soekris solution looks very nice indeed, and the
27 12-port model (4-port plus two 4x port addons) in particular would be way
28 more compact than trying to do it with an mATX or the like, for sure!
31 (Didn't get much of the research I wanted to do done yesterday, and
32 they're calling me in for a few hours on what would have been a second
33 day off today. But oh, well... delay and extra work means it's easier to
34 pay off. =:^)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman