From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Gentoo crashing?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:58:47
1 Isidore Ducasse <ducasse.isidore@×××××.com> posted
2 20070514113637.3a4ba97d@Bazaar, excerpted below, on Mon, 14 May 2007
3 11:36:37 +0200:
4
5 > Very interesting post!
6 > Could you explain what "mobo" means?
7
8 The other answers are correct, mo(ther)bo(ard). Sorry for the
9 unexplained confusing shorthand.
10
11 > And BTW (_almost_ off-topic...) I've heard that RAM sticks should be
12 > identical when plugged on the same motherboard, but it was some "good
13 > vendor advice" so I'd rather rely on some experienced user's answer. So
14 > is there an issue if two RAM sticks of different brands are plugged on
15 > the same motherboard? What if, whilst of the same brand, they don't have
16 > the same capacity? Could Peter's issue be related to this kind of
17 > problem?
18
19 I agree with the others here, especially Florian, too. Same
20 manufacturer's lot is a good idea when the memory is interleaved (should
21 be a BIOS setting controlling that). Common interleaving is dual-
22 channel, but with dual Opterons as here, quad channel is an option,
23 interleaving the nodes as well as the sticks on the same node. However I
24 stick with dual-channel and independent nodes, as I prefer NUMA mode
25 (each CPU/core gets its own memory space to work with, on its physically
26 local memory, if possible) with its independent memory access, the apps
27 on each CPU interfering less with the other's memory, over the additional
28 bandwidth. If it's not interleaved, it doesn't matter (or shouldn't,
29 anyway), tho as Florian mentioned, the lower clock rate is used if the
30 differ.
31
32 The same thing applies to capacity. If one is interleaving, same
33 capacity is required across the interleaf but not necessarily between two
34 separate interleaves.
35
36 The problem could indeed be unmatched timing related (such unmatched
37 timing being the reason different lots, even of the same manufacturer,
38 often causes problems when interleaving), especially if interleaving is
39 turned on. Again, however, trying it with a stick at a time would of
40 course eliminate such interleaving timing issues, altho if that's the
41 issue, the memory sticks would test out fine individually.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list