From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Soliciting new RAID ideas
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 23:32:40
1 On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >> The list is quiet. Please excuse me waking it up. (Or trying to...) ;-)
5 >>
6 >> I'm at the point where I'm a few months from running out of disk
7 >> space on my RAID6 so I'm considering how to move forward. I thought
8 >> I'd check in here and get any ideas folks have. Thanks in advance.
11 > Beware - if Adobe acroread is used, and you opt for a 3TB home
12 > directory, there is a chance it will not work. Or more specifically,
13 > acroread is still 32-bit. It's only something I've seen with the xfs
14 > filesystem. And Adobe has ignored it for approx. 3yrs now.
17 acroread isn't critical to me but it does get used now and then so
18 thanks for the heads-up.
19
20 <SNIP>
21 >
22 > RAID 1 is fine, RAID 10 is better, but comsumes 4 drives and SATA ports.
23
24 Humm...I suppose I might consider building a 4-drive 1TB RAID10 from
25 my existing 500GB RE3 drives, and then buy a couple of 2TB Red drives
26 and do a RAID1 for data storage. If I did that I'd end up with 6
27 drives in the box, 4 of them old, but old ain't necessarily bad. ;-)
28 However that forces me to manage what data goes where instead of just
29 a big, flat RAID1 which is going to be easy to live with. Still, it
30 would probably save some money.
31
32 <SNIP>
33 >
34 > If you change, do not use ZFS and possibly BTRFS if the system does not
35 > have ECC DRAM. A single, unnoticed, ECC error can corrupt the data pool
36 > and be written to the file system, which effectively renders it corrupt
37 > without a way to recover.
38
39 Thanks. No ECC and no real interest in doing anything very exotic.
42 > FWIW - a Synology DS414slim can hold 4 x 1TB WD Red NAS 2.5" drives and
43 > provide a boot of nfs or iSCSI to your VMs. The downside is the NAS box
44 > and drives would go for a bit north of $636. The upside is all your
45 > movies and VM files could move off your workstation and the workstation
46 > would still host the VMs via a mount of the NAS box.
49 NAS is an interesting idea. I'll do a little study but my initial
50 feeling is that it's more money than I really want to spend. Summer's
51 coming. Time for Margaritas!
52
53 Thanks,
54 Mark