From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Ebuild HOWTO
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:58:49
1 2008/6/4 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
2
3 > Okay, I've gone over the docs and the HOWTOs on gentoo.org and I'm still a
4 > wee bit (okay maybe a lot) fuzzy on developing/updating ebuilds.
5 >
6 > I have a particular app I use quite often (DVDStyler), but the ebuild in
7 > portage is pretty old (1.5.2_p2) compared to the latest version available
8 > (1.6.2), the difference being about a year between them.
9 >
10 > I know I can just compile the source for the latest, but I'd like to update
11 > the ebuild to learn how to do it. The docs however, aren't helpful from the
12 > standpoint that there's no clear cut procedure for setting up a devel
13 > environment for building/testing an ebuild locally without becoming a gentoo
14 > developer, per se.
15 >
16 > Me, I rather like having step-by-step instructions on my first go round so
17 > I can 'do it right' the first time, then I'll know how to fix it if I bork
18 > something.
19 >
20 > Is there something like that floating around?
23 the easiest way is to rename the old ebuild to 1.6.2, to remove from it the
24 epatch options and see if it builds. harder stuff consist of testing the
25 manual build of the package (download, configure, make, but not make
26 install, then test various configure options and retest make and then put
27 them in the ebuild).
31 dott. ing. beso