From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Microcode-ctl Problems
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:04:51
1 After failing to receive any kind of answer from various sources, including
2 the developers themselves, I though that I would bring up the issue here.
3
4 Does the microcode_ctl utility work on the x86_64 processor, and in particular
5 the Core 2 quad? If so, then how can it be successfully implemented?
6
7 To those who may not know, microcode_ctl is described at this link:
8 http://www.urbanmyth.org/microcode
9
10 My kernel is compiled to include microcode support and the proper device
11 (i.e. /dev/cpu/microcode) is in place. But every time I load the microcode
12 module, using the command "modprobe microcode," the module takes about
13 three minutes to be loaded which seems quite abnormal. Then, executing
14 "microcode_ctl -f microcode.dat" will report that the new firmware has
15 been loaded when actually it is not loaded. Executing the same command
16 a second time, which should report that the new firmware is already loaded,
17 only again reports that new firmware has been loaded. This behavior
18 indicates that something is very wrong.
19
20 Microcode_ctl is available for Gentoo AMD64 and there are no indications
21 anywhere that it does _not_ work on a 64-bit system. What needs to
22 be done to get it to load the new firmware and why does the module
23 take three minutes to load?
24
25 Microcode_ctl is far from being a popular or even essential utility
26 but someone must have some knowledge of its function. I recall that
27 it used to work nicely on a 32-bit machine but since I switched to pure
28 64-bit I can no longer use it.
29
30 Frank Peters