From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: [OT] error message
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:11:16
Andrey Schwedovitch posted <43A49930.60908@×××××××.mps>, excerpted below,
on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 02:03:12 +0300:

> in /var/log/Xorg.0.log i found : > - 3 WW - messages about missing file "fonts.dir" > - 1 message about "Open APM failed" > - 3 messages about not used params from old ATI card (AGPMode, > AGPFastWrite and EnablePageFlip) > and NO EE-messages..
The fonts.dir warnings aren't unusual. Gentoo's xorg build goes thru the normal font dirs automatically, creating font.dir files (a kind of index file used by the font rendering), but some will be empty dirs, simply placeholders in case you merge any fonts of that type, while others are "super-dirs", that is, they don't contain any fonts (and thus no font.dir) themselves, only subdirs with fonts in them. So, the font.dir warnings aren't anything to worry about at all. The APM thing is legacy power management. You get the warning because you probably have newer equipment that doesn't use that old power management stuff any more. You can eliminate the warning by placing An 'Option "NoPM"' line in your xorg, in 'Section "ServerFlags"'. The newer power management stuff should continue to operate normally, or it does here, anyway.
> but there are 2 other strings : > Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module > /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved! Symbol > __glXgetActiveScreen from module /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is > unresolved!
If you are running NVidia's proprietary drivers, I believe you should have the DRI (Direct Rendering Interface) extension disabled. It's normally enabled for ATI, I believe, so you probably have an 'Load "dri"' line in the 'Section "Module"' from the same old ATI. Simply commenting that line with a # at the beginning of it should eliminate those errors. See NVidia's README file for more details. (My info on NVidia and DRI is from a couple years ago when I used to run their proprietaryware drivers. It may have changed since then. Again, their README file is quite detailed and helpful. It's well worth taking a gander at, if you haven't already done so.) In any case, DRI is I believe 3D rendering. It's not used in normal 2D X mode, and as I said, NVidia doesn't use it as they use their own system for 3D mode, so it's safe to turn off, but that's why X seems to start even with those errors.
> and also: when i start, for example, kcontrol my X freezes and in > Xorg.0.log appears that error message about NVRM... > >>As for the meaning, NVRM, unless NVidia is using it to mean something >>else, means Non-Volatile-RAM, usually flash based RAM. This could be >>the video card BIOS, or your motherboard BIOS, or perhaps something else >>with NVRAM. Beyond that, I don't have much clue. altho once you trace >>it to the hardware it's coming from, you might be able to google >>something on it. >> > i don't know how to apply Non-Volatille-RAM to my trouble with video > subsystem..
Disregard that. It's not relevant in this case, because the NV that would otherwise refer to non-volatile refers to NVidia, and a guess would be RM is Rendering Module, or some such, so NVRM is simply referring to the NVidia driver module, or whatever that RM stands for, not to non-volatile-RAM, as would likely be the case in other contexts.
>>Hmm... Just did the google here. It DOES appear to be NVidia related. >> >>Heres the (long, due to containing that whole string) link to the search >>page: >> >> >> >>It shows 9 of the 26 hits, the rest are similar to those 9, it says. >>Good luck! >> >> > ok.. i'll try this link at home..
I didn't look at them in any depth, only enough to see it does seem to be your error, and in at least some of the cases, the posters ended up using a different driver version to avoid the issue. I'm guessing that's what you are likely to end up doing as well, tho it's possible a kernel incompatibility and you may have to change kernel versions instead or as well. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: [OT] error message Andrey Schwedovitch <schwed@×××××××.ru>