From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: [OT] error message
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:11:16
1 Andrey Schwedovitch posted <43A49930.60908@×××××××.mps>, excerpted below,
2 on Sun, 18 Dec 2005 02:03:12 +0300:
3
4 > in /var/log/Xorg.0.log i found :
5 > - 3 WW - messages about missing file "fonts.dir"
6 > - 1 message about "Open APM failed"
7 > - 3 messages about not used params from old ATI card (AGPMode,
8 > AGPFastWrite and EnablePageFlip)
9 > and NO EE-messages..
10
11 The fonts.dir warnings aren't unusual. Gentoo's xorg build goes thru the
12 normal font dirs automatically, creating font.dir files (a kind of index
13 file used by the font rendering), but some will be empty dirs, simply
14 placeholders in case you merge any fonts of that type, while others are
15 "super-dirs", that is, they don't contain any fonts (and thus no font.dir)
16 themselves, only subdirs with fonts in them. So, the font.dir warnings
17 aren't anything to worry about at all.
18
19 The APM thing is legacy power management. You get the warning because you
20 probably have newer equipment that doesn't use that old power management
21 stuff any more. You can eliminate the warning by placing An 'Option
22 "NoPM"' line in your xorg, in 'Section "ServerFlags"'. The newer power
23 management stuff should continue to operate normally, or it does here,
24 anyway.
25
26 > but there are 2 other strings :
27 > Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module
28 > /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved! Symbol
29 > __glXgetActiveScreen from module /usr/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is
30 > unresolved!
31
32 If you are running NVidia's proprietary drivers, I believe you should have
33 the DRI (Direct Rendering Interface) extension disabled. It's normally
34 enabled for ATI, I believe, so you probably have an 'Load "dri"' line in
35 the 'Section "Module"' from the same old ATI. Simply commenting that
36 line with a # at the beginning of it should eliminate those errors.
37
38 See NVidia's README file for more details. (My info on NVidia and DRI is
39 from a couple years ago when I used to run their proprietaryware drivers.
40 It may have changed since then. Again, their README file is quite
41 detailed and helpful. It's well worth taking a gander at, if you haven't
42 already done so.)
43
44 In any case, DRI is I believe 3D rendering. It's not used in normal 2D X
45 mode, and as I said, NVidia doesn't use it as they use their own system
46 for 3D mode, so it's safe to turn off, but that's why X seems to start
47 even with those errors.
48
49 > and also: when i start, for example, kcontrol my X freezes and in
50 > Xorg.0.log appears that error message about NVRM...
51 >
52 >>As for the meaning, NVRM, unless NVidia is using it to mean something
53 >>else, means Non-Volatile-RAM, usually flash based RAM. This could be
54 >>the video card BIOS, or your motherboard BIOS, or perhaps something else
55 >>with NVRAM. Beyond that, I don't have much clue. altho once you trace
56 >>it to the hardware it's coming from, you might be able to google
57 >>something on it.
58 >>
59 > i don't know how to apply Non-Volatille-RAM to my trouble with video
60 > subsystem..
61
62 Disregard that. It's not relevant in this case, because the NV that would
63 otherwise refer to non-volatile refers to NVidia, and a guess would be RM
64 is Rendering Module, or some such, so NVRM is simply referring to the
65 NVidia driver module, or whatever that RM stands for, not to
66 non-volatile-RAM, as would likely be the case in other contexts.
67
68 >>Hmm... Just did the google here. It DOES appear to be NVidia related.
69 >>
70 >>Heres the (long, due to containing that whole string) link to the search
71 >>page:
72 >>
73 >>http://www.google.com/search?q=%22nvrm%3A+xid%3A+13+0000+02005600+00001796+00000c2c+00010001+00000080%22
74 >>
75 >>It shows 9 of the 26 hits, the rest are similar to those 9, it says.
76 >>Good luck!
79 > ok.. i'll try this link at home..
80
81 I didn't look at them in any depth, only enough to see it does seem to be
82 your error, and in at least some of the cases, the posters ended up using
83 a different driver version to avoid the issue. I'm guessing that's what
84 you are likely to end up doing as well, tho it's possible a kernel
85 incompatibility and you may have to change kernel versions instead or as
86 well.
91 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
92 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
96 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list