From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cross-compiling to x86 on gentoo-amd64 systems..
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:12:42
1 "Miguel Filipe" <miguel.filipe@×××××.com> posted
2 f058a9c30605171130r69bb5c02v1293a2f23e72cafa@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 17 May 2006 19:30:39 +0100:
4
5 > I cannot cross-compile to x86 (gcc bla bla -m32) some applications on my
6 > gentoo-amd64 system.
7
8 The short answer: Don't take this the wrong way, but RTFM (in the form of
9 the FAQ and the 32-bit chroot guide), as it's covered there in detail:
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml
11 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
12
13 The medium answer: Yes, it is a multilib issue. Depending on what's
14 required, you may only have to merge the various 32-bit compatibility
15 libraries (binaries, so they merge fast, but you miss the ability to
16 customize them like you can from-source merges), or you may have to go the
17 full chroot route as described in the second link above. It's also
18 possible in some cases to manually (that is, not using portage) compile
19 from tarball all the necessary libraries, avoiding portage's dependency
20 tracking, but that gets very complex very fast if the dependency list
21 isn't very short. In that case, it's often easier to simply go the chroot
22 route, even tho it /does/ mean keeping almost an entire duplicate 32-bit
23 system (sans kernel syslogger, and other system services provided by
24 the 64-bit side) upto date.
25
26 The long answer is the same as the short answer, but includes all their
27 explanations, so I might as well simply refer you to the URLs above rather
28 than reprinting it here.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list