From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:02:59
On 01/03/2011 08:34 PM, Dale wrote:
> Hi folks, > > I recently built me a new 64 bit system. My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs > and my new system has 4Gbs. I was expecting it to use about the same > amount of memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system > than the old one. With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs of > ram. My old system would use a little over half that. I have the same > settings on both. > > Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they > are larger than 32 bit programs? Just curious. I notice that Seamonkey > uses more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more. Those are generally the > biggest users. > > I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference.
There's usually a very small difference (I'd say about 10%). But nothing like you're describing (which is almost 100% if what you're saying is true.) How do you tell how much memory is used? If you're using KDE, System Monitor will give you a good value that's very close to reality. On my system (with a full blown KDE desktop with some plasmoids active and currently Firefox + Thunderbird + Amarok running) it says "0.57 GiB of 5.8 GiB", meaning it uses about 570MB of RAM and I have 6GB total.) After a fresh reboot it's about 230MB. I'm sure you're not using the same configuration (I don't mean USE flags and such, but rather how you've configured your application and desktop.)