From: Andreas Karlsson <hermes@××××.se>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] dma?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:26:48
1 On Tuesday 11 July 2006 11:02, Gavin Seddon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I am using Reiser on a couple of my partitions. When booting it informs
4 > me the 'dma is turned off, this is slowing down fs checking. Also,
5 > occasionall I am instructed to ctrl D for a reboot. Is this normal for
6 > reiser? And, how do I turn dma on? A similar situation occurred with
7 > all ext3 filesystems then afte about 1 yr the root partition developed
8 > significant errors and wouldn't boot. So I put reiser on it. What do
9 > you think's up? It appears to me to be a broken hdd?
10 > Gavin.
13 Hi,
14
15 Looks like the system was turned off without cleanly unmounting all
16 partitions. This should trigger a filesystem check at next reboot. The
17 message with Ctrl-D to reboot does also contain a oppertunity to login as
18 root (just type roots password). This is due to the fact that fsck.reiserfs
19 was unable to repair certan problems and needs to be run with optional
20 parameters that you must manually specify; probably --rebuild-tree.
21
22 A solution would be to boot up the system normaly and then enter runlevel 1 by
23 using the command "init 1" as root. Next umount the partition that is having
24 problems and do a "chkfs.reiserfs /dev/[your-partition]" and see if that
25 helps, otherwise do a "chkfs.reiserfs /dev/[your-partition] --rebuild-tree".
26 This helped me after some bad thunderstorms that caused blackouts last summer
27 and corrupted some of my partitions on my file server.
28
29 Best regards,
30 Andreas Karlsson
31 Sweden