From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] multilib question
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:48:18
1 try always using the new ati-drivers, even if they're on the unstable
2 branch, cause they always bugfix something....
3 also add the gentopia/sabayon repository from layman and use the drivers
4 there, cause they're stabler and they're always quite updated.... and if
5 they're not very updated as they are on the official branch you'll
6 automatically upgrade to the most updated.... with the new ati monthly
7 driver update (mainly bugfixes, but also new features) you need these
8 drivers to be always upgraded.... also, you shouldn't need the compat 32bit
9 libraries.... the dependancie you need is libstdc++ of at least version 3,
10 so check if you installed it (you shouldn't have installed it as it is a run
11 dep and for some reason portage doesn't install it sometimes with 8.37 and
12 lesser packages).... after that you should be able to tun your ati system
13 quite good, with only the ati related bugs.... also remember to add
14 atieventsd daemon to boot level, disable composite extension and aiglx
15 server extension (currently non supported by the drivers) and make sure that
16 xorg loads the fglrx module.... after that you should do a revdep-rebuild
17 (install gentoolkit if you cannot find the command) as you'll need to do
18 after a major system package update (gcc, libtool, glibc, baselayout, xorg,
19 kdebase-libs) and package cleanings to make sure there aren't broken links
20 and deps....
21 for updated news on ati and linux drivers and hw be sure to check phonorix
22 web site and michael larabel's blog.... i'm sure that there you'll find a
23 lot of infos on linux hw/drivers....
24