From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:05:02
1 On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:58:36 +0000
3 > "Paul Jewell" <paul@×××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> When I installed my system back in January, I started off with 64 bit
6 >> only, and immediately hit a problem with grub compilation.
7 >
8 > Why not just use lilo?  Lilo doesn't need the kernel to boot the
9 > system and it compiles on pure 64-bit systems.
10 >
11 > I hate to proselytize, but it seems to me that grub has been pushed
12 > into the Linux world without merit.  Lilo does the job just as well.
13
14 What's the advantage of LILO nowadays? I used grub because of two
15 reasons: 1) I don't need to re-install the MBR when changing grub's
16 .conf file and 2) I can edit configuration at boot time, useful when
17 you messed up your grub.conf. Last time I checked (admittedly long
18 time ago) LILO cannot do both of these. Granted, I've never used LILO,
19 does it boot faster or runs on more platforms or is there any
20 particular reason why you used it?