From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrade an old system
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 04:55:18
1 Sami Näätänen <sn.ml@××××××××××××.fi> posted
2 200905070157.35952.sn.ml@××××××××××××.fi, excerpted below, on Thu, 07 May
3 2009 01:57:35 +0300:
4
5 > The only thing that anoyingly invalidates my io buffers is listening
6 > music. Maybe I should cut the size of my Music library heavily. :)
7
8 Unless you're paying extra per-gig for inet, consider doing what I do
9 much of the time, tune-in the icecast/shoutcast streams. =:^)
10
11 You can even streamripper them if desired, but of course there you go
12 with the cache busting again. =:^(
13
14 > The real reason why I use tmpfs for the PM temp dir is not that it makes
15 > compiles so much faster, but the fact that it will also ease the
16 > unnecessary disk writes that building packages generate. This will
17 > result in a longer life time for my disks.
18
19 Well, if you spin-down your disks, possibly. If you don't, they're
20 spinning anyway (tho the seeking is additional wear-and-tear).
21
22 But depending on the I/O layout, keeping that extra data off the I/O bus
23 can significantly improve system responsiveness, particularly for data
24 that's not already in cache. That's the biggest difference I noted,
25 other than roughly halving my emerge times.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman