From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE4 desktop effects
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:47:27
1 Beso wrote:
5 > well, the radeon driver for me works with compiz-fusion and kde4 (either
6 > emerald or kwin-decorator-4) and is fantastic. also drm, exa and 2d video
7 > playback is fantastic.
8 > the only drawback is the following:
9 > you'll need to use live ebuilds from the x11-overlay. i've been with them
10 > for about 6 months now and i can tell you that everything works very well
11 > (no instability or similar issues).
12 > before starting to use them i'd advice you to tell me what board you have
13 > and, since probably is equal to one of my 2 laptop boards (x200m rs480 or
14 > x12xx, rs690) i can pass you all the configs to have everything working. a
15 > full live xorg build (a partial one would cause you some instability issues)
16 > that includes xorg-protos, xorg-libs, xorg-server, mesa, drivers would take
17 > about 3-4 hours, but you might be forced to reinstall all kde4 after that
18 > (this happens often after a new rebuild of xorg-git) and so you'll still
19 > need around the old 3.5 installation. in fact i have compiz enabled by
20 > default on that one and i start it manually on kde4 since sometime it has
21 > some issues on startup with setting the kwindecorator4.
22 > if you'll tell me that you'll be willing to use this method i'll prepare a
23 > walkthrough of everything you'll need to install, in which order, what
24 > overlays you'll need to use (you'll want desktop-effects for compiz-fusion)
25 > and what options you'll want to enable and use on the board. to do
26 > everything in a fine way you'll probably take about one day of work
27 > (including xorg-modular rebuild and kde4 rebuild).
28 > also i reccomend the setup of portage-tmpfs on /tmpfs so that the
29 > compilation speed would drammatically increase.
30 > let me know if you're interested. if you're not then you won't be able to
31 > use any desktop effect (not on kde3.5 or on kde4) and since i find out some
32 > compiz effects very PRODUCTIVE for business environments (i didn't
33 > understood this until i've used compiz for about a week) it would be a shame
34 > not to use it.
37 I am all for it. Please enlighten me. My laptop has a Radeon XPress
38 200M. The box is a Compaq Presario R4000 and I"ve had it for about 3
39 years now. It's been the most rock solid laptop I've ever owned and it
40 runs like a scalded dog on compiles. I'm interested in getting all the
41 info I can on getting this to work.
45 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
48 Mark Haney
49 Sr. Systems Administrator
50 ERC Broadband
51 (828) 350-2415
52
53 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support