From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Initial Gentoo Linux 1.0 build tbz2 file released
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:44:28
1 Hi All,
2
3 I've just whipped up the initial version of our Gentoo Linux 1.0 build
4 tbz2. More advanced users (and developer) may want to use this tbz2 to
5 build their own Gentoo Linux 1.0 systems and help to report bugs and get
6 1.0 ready for release on March 31. You can grab the initial 1.0 build
7 tbz2 from the following URL:
8
9 http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/snapshots/build/build-ix86-1.0.tbz2
10
11 This new 1.0 tbz2 includes Portage 1.8.9_pre26. Note that our 1.0 ISO
12 isn't available yet, so this file is mainly for those expert Gentoo
13 Linux users who know what they're doing. Also note that this is *not*
14 the official Gentoo Linux 1.0 release, it's just the first rev of our
15 1.0 build image. It does bootstrap correctly. "emerge system" hasn't
16 been tested yet but will probably complete just fine and allow you to
17 set up a full prerelease Gentoo Linux 1.0 system :) The full Gentoo
18 Linux 1.0 release will include the release of new ISOs and a slightly
19 more feature-rich version of Portage.
20
21 Also, on a somewhat unrelated note: some users were wondering why our
22 2.4.18 kernel didn't have very good desktop performance as compared to
23 our 2.4.7-r5 kernel. The reason is that we tried using the -aa patchset
24 in 2.4.18 for the first time and we found it to be quite slow for
25 interactive Linux use. In addition, our 2.4.18 sources don't include
26 preempt, thus compounding the interactivity problem.
27
28 Best Regards,
31 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
32 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org