From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Sudden rsync change
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 23:35:29
Hi All,

For the past several weeks, huge numbers of rsync downloads have been
consuming the vast majority of bandwidth.  Today, our
server started croaking and we were forced to turn off
rsync access prematurely.  Currently and for the forseeable future, will only provide rsync access for our rsync mirrors.

Regular users should access our rsync *mirrors* via DNS round robin by
connecting to rsync://  If you are using
a recent version of Portage, this can be easily changed by adding the
following line to your /etc/make.conf:

Unfortunately, versions of Portage 1.8.8 and earlier do not support easy
rsync reconfiguration.  If you are using an older version of Portage. we
recommend that you follow these instructions to tweak your emerge
command to use the new server and then proceed to upgrade to a new 1.0
profile and a new version of Portage:

(the "rsync:" in the post should be "rsync://")

Of course, I'm very sorry for the sudden inconvenience.  I hope you
understand that Gentoo Linux's sudden growth has created its share of
growing pains :)

Best Regards,
Daniel Robbins                                  <drobbins@g.o>
Chief Architect/President