From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: number1@×××.org
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Announce: prerelease KDE ebuilds (3.1 alpha1)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:53:51
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hello everyone,
5
6 This is about alpha-quality code and beta-quality ebuilds. If you want to stay
7 on the stable side of things, don't read this. All kde prereleases will
8 remain masked and the eclass changes etc. will not affect you. There won't be
9 gentoo-side support on the level of the stable ebuilds, either.
10
11 End disclaimer. Now: I've made ebuilds for kde 3.1 alpha1. More importantly,
12 these are the first kde ebuilds utside 3.0.x and as such put our "multi-kde"
13 setup to the test. Personally I like the new alpha a good deal.
14
15 Short summary:
16
17 To use: you _must_ remove the KDE3DIR and KDE3LIBSDIR settings from your
18 /etc/make.globals. They are deprecated and will not appear in future versions
19 of portage. If you don't, the new alpha will overwrite your current stable
20 3.0.2 and install into /usr/kde/3.
21
22 Remove the section in package.mask about kde-3.1_alpha1 and emerge kde. This
23 will install alpha1 into /usr/kde/3.1 and you can select the kde to log into
24 (3.0.x or 3.1.x) from kdm.
25
26 I would have done more, but ISP troubles prevent me from connecting to the
27 internet and finishing what I started. Once I'm up to speed once more I'll
28 maintain the kde cvs ebuilds again, and keep a status/info page on
29 www.gentoo.org/~danarmak (I'll post a separate notice once it's up).
30
31 Please report any problems/ideas/patch suggestions to me at
32 danarmak@g.o and I'll reply as soon as I can.
33
34 Details:
35
36 This is the setup: kde 3.0.x installs into /usr/kde/3 (for backward
37 compatibility; it should have been /usr/kde/3.0). kde 3.1.x, including this
38 alpha, installs into /usr/kde/3.1. kde 3.2.x will install into /usr/kde/3.2,
39 etc.
40
41 3rd party kde apps always install into /usr/kde/3. However the kdelibs they
42 link against is the latest one found in the standard locations: the one in
43 /usr/kde/3.2; if it doesn't exist, the one in /usr/kde/3.1; if it doesn't
44 exist, the one in /usr/kde/3, etc.
45
46 You can modify these default settings by setting $KDE3DIR and/or $KDE3LIBSDIR
47 (in make.conf or in the environment). If KDE3DIR is defined, all and any kde3
48 apps (base and 3rd party) will install into it. If KDE3LIBSDIR is defined,
49 all kde3 apps (even ones from kde-base) will link against the kdelibs
50 installed there.
51
52 That way you can create a fully custom setup, with any amount of KDEs
53 installed side by side. Note: this doesn't mean you have to or even should
54 unless you have a really good reaason! The default settings should be quite
55 good enough for everyone.
56
57 Also note that since this masked and in active testing, everything may change
58 at any moment (I don't expect it to, but who knows). There are some known
59 issues, and others which are features not bugs. More details soon. Remember
60 this is as yet preliminary support :-)
61
62 - --
63 Dan Armak
64 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)