From: Damon Conway <damon@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Maintenance this weekend
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:16:34
Hi all,
This weekend (04/26 - 04/28) I will be doing some major maintenace on
the server.  This is the server that hosts all web services
(incl. www and bugs), CVS, rsync, DNS, and mail (incl. lists).
Unfortunatly, I do not have a firm date and time for this maintenance.
Once I do, I will reply to this announcement with an update.  I wanted to
make sure everyone knew about it.

This window of downtime will be at least one hour, but probably closer
to 2 hours.  The work includes the following:

o Relocating the server to a new datacenter
o Changing the IP address of the server
o Upgrading the motherboard and RAM (512M to 1G)

During this window, you will not be able to update your portage tree via
rsync/CVS, update/add any bugs on bugzilla, send/receive list mail, or
browse web pages.  This will not affect our ibiblio store of tarballs,
and therefore will not hinder emerging new packages.  Our secondary DNS
server will be up and updated with new DNS info so that when the new
server comes up, it will be reachable via DNS.  Also,
will be unaffected as it is not yet hosted on the main server.

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
 would also stop you from doing clever things."  --Doug Gwyn