From: Damon Conway <damon@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Gentoo.org Maintenance this weekend
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:16:34
1 Hi all,
2 This weekend (04/26 - 04/28) I will be doing some major maintenace on
3 the gentoo.org server. This is the server that hosts all web services
4 (incl. www and bugs), CVS, rsync, DNS, and mail (incl. lists).
5 Unfortunatly, I do not have a firm date and time for this maintenance.
6 Once I do, I will reply to this announcement with an update. I wanted to
7 make sure everyone knew about it.
8
9 This window of downtime will be at least one hour, but probably closer
10 to 2 hours. The work includes the following:
11
12 o Relocating the server to a new datacenter
13 o Changing the IP address of the server
14 o Upgrading the motherboard and RAM (512M to 1G)
15
16 During this window, you will not be able to update your portage tree via
17 rsync/CVS, update/add any bugs on bugzilla, send/receive list mail, or
18 browse web pages. This will not affect our ibiblio store of tarballs,
19 and therefore will not hinder emerging new packages. Our secondary DNS
20 server will be up and updated with new DNS info so that when the new
21 server comes up, it will be reachable via DNS. Also, forums.gentoo.org
22 will be unaffected as it is not yet hosted on the main server.
23
24 Thanks,
25 kabau
28 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
29 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn