From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Alpha KDE3 pre ebuilds released
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:56:43
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've released an initial (alpha-stage) set of ebuilds for kde3 (currently
4 beta1, will switch to cvs snapshots tomorrow).
5
6 Note: this is outside portage (cvs/rsync), is officially unstable and
7 completely unsupported and is for testing only. Also note that you will be
8 testing KDE3 as well as the ebuilds, and will ceratainly encounter bugs (and
9 report them, and help fix them) in both.
10
11 It won't be strictly stable until kde3-final is out.
12
13 You have been warned!
14
15 If you still want to try this out, go to
16 http://www.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde3-pre.html. Be sure to read all notes
17 carefully before using.
18
19 One note that's worth repeating here: in a week or two at the latest we'll
20 finally have support for multilpe KDEDIRs in all kinds of custom combinations
21 which will be really neat. Right now these ebuilds install into /usr, same as
22 the stable 2.2.2 ebuilds in portage. In other words, they're uncompatible and
23 you'll have to remerge all the kde 2.2.2 packages to have a stable
24 environment again. So even if you want to help test this stuff, you might
25 consider waiting for the multiple KDEDIRs support to crystallize (right now
26 it's somewhat uncertain what shape it'll take).
27
28 What's already working: all kde-base packages except for kdeaddons,
29 kdeartwork, kdepim and kdebindings.
30 The kde[libs] 2/3 combination is also doing great. I used kdebase-3.0_beta1
31 with all the other kde-base packages from 2.2.2 for a day and it worked great
32 together.
35 Dan Armak
36 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
37 Matan, Israel