From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Multi-kdelibs/eclasses v4 released
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:03:52
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I have just committed the multi-kdelibs/multi-qt/eclasses version 4 package.
4 This allows you to have multiple versions of kdelibs installed and so, for
5 example, use KDE3 (once it's released) together with KDE2 applications.
6
7 Everyone should upgrade at some point to >=x11-lib/qt-x11-2.3.1-r2 and
8 >=kde-base/kdelibs-2.2.1-r2. Or, you might emerge (or remerge) kde-base/kde
9 to automatically get the latest revisions of kde-base/* (this doesn't include
10 qt, you still have to upgrade it explicitly). There's no hurry though; you
11 can wait until you can dedicate a night or so to compiling.
12
13 Upgraders:
14 1. Turn off KDE when emerging :-).
15 2a. If upgrading from kde-2.1.x or earlier, or from qt-2.2.x or earlier, you
16 must remerge all kde apps (not just kde-base/*) and unmerge their previous
17 versions.
18 2b. Otherwise, you only need to remerge x11-libs/qt-x11, kde-base/kdelibs and
19 kde-base/kdebase.
20 3. Unmerge all previous revisions/versions that aren't multi-qt/multi-kde
21 compatible. Compatible versions are:
22 x11-libs/qt-x11: 2.3.1-r2, 2.3.2
23 kde-base/kdelibs: 2.2.1-r2
24
25 ---
26
27 Known issue: kdm doesn't display icons (the ones with the users' heads, black
28 on white). It may be fixable but I doubt it. It isn't important enough IMO
29 anyway.
30
31 ---
32
33 Developers and ebuild writers: if you want to write inheriting ebuilds for
34 kde/qt apps, read /usr/portage/eclass/doc/* very carefully and take a good
35 long look at existing ebuilds and eclasses. Make sure you understand the
36 changes in v4, see news.txt.
40 Dan Armak
41 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
42 Matan, Israel