From: gentoo-announce-admin@××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-announce@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] New Portage/Baselayout on CVS/rsync
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:55:58
1 Hi All,
2
3 Tonight, I started catching up on my near 15-day backlog of Gentoo
4 Linux-related mailing list postings, and started hitting lots of discussions
5 about extensions to the dependency system. This motivated me to add the
6 long-anticipated "*"-style dependency to Portage, and create a new Portage
7 release, 1.6.12. It is now on CVS. Here are how the new "*" dependencies
8 work:
9
10 Let's say you'd like a package to use the most recent 1.x version of freetype.
11 You can now specify the following dependency:
12
13 =media-libs/freetype-1*
14
15 Or, if you want the latest 1.2.x version of gtk+, use:
16
17 =x11-libs/gtk+-1.2*
18
19 You should only use the new "*" deps with straight version numbers; i.e. no
20 _alpha, _beta, _pre, -rX, or trailing letters. They only really make sense for
21 straight x.y.z integer version formats anyways. We will continue to extend the
22 dependency syntax to keep up with the needs of developers.
23
24 I also added a new version of sys-apps/baselayout (1.6.5) to Portage. This new
25 release contains important fixes to the /etc/init.d/checkroot and
26 /etc/init.d/netmount scripts, as well as a couple of other minor improvements.
27
28 Enjoy!
31 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
32 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org