From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Gentoo Linux 1.1a released!
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:16:38
Hi All,

Gentoo Linux 1.1a has been released!  If you're setting up a new Gentoo
Linux system, be sure to use the new 1.1a ISOs and .tbz2s, available

Of course, existing Gentoo Linux users can upgrade to the most recent
version of Gentoo Linux in-place without reinstalling.  To upgrade a
Gentoo Linux 1.0 system to 1.1a, simply type:

# emerge rsync
# emerge sys-apps/portage
# emerge --update world
(then update your config files in /etc)

If you have a Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc6 or earlier system, please see the
following URL for upgrade instructions.  These are 1.0_rc6 to 1.0
upgrade instructions, but will also work for 1.0_rc6 to 1.1 upgrades:

Changes since Gentoo Linux 1.0:

  Important pam/shadow/util-linux security fixes

  Support for pppoe installs from our install CDs

  Various important improvements to Portage:
   * Safe glibc upgrades should be working foreveryone
   * The merge process (copying to live fs) is now an order of magnitude
     faster than it was with 1.0-era Portage

  New design for our nvidia-glx, nvidia-driver and xfree ebuilds:
   * can now switch between OpenGL/MESA implementations by using the
     "opengl-config" command.

  As usual, very many upgrades and improvements to a bunch of packages.

Best Regards,

Daniel Robbins                                  <drobbins@g.o>
Chief Architect/President
Gentoo Technologies, Inc.