The 2008.0 final release is out! Code-named "It's got what plants
crave," this release contains numerous new features including an updated
installer , improved hardware support, a complete rework of profiles,
and a move to Xfce instead of GNOME on the LiveCD. LiveDVDs are not
available for x86 or amd64, although they may become available in the
future. The 2008.0 release also includes updated versions of many
packages already available in your ebuild tree.
* Updated installer: The installer now only performs networkless
installations using the packages and ebuild tree on the LiveCD. It also
contains numerous fixes for extended and logical partitions.
* Improved hardware support: Moving to the 2.6.24 kernel added many new
drivers for hardware released since the 2007.0 release.
* Complete rework of profiles: Restructuring profiles allowed
significant cleanup of redundancies, reducing developer maintenance and
confusion. The difference for you is that profiles now appear in
/usr/portage/profiles/ under default/linux/ instead of default-linux/.
See the upgrading guide  for more details.
* Xfce instead of GNOME on the LiveCD: To save space, the LiveCDs
switched to the smaller Xfce environment. This means that a binary
installation using the LiveCD will install Xfce, but you're still free
to build GNOME or KDE from source.
* No LiveDVDs on x86 or amd64: In the interest of getting the release
out, the release engineering team  decided to postpone LiveDVDs
because of problems in their generation. They may show up later—if so,
we'll let you know.
* Updated packages: Highlights of the 2008.0 release include Portage
18.104.22.168 , a 2.6.24 kernel, Xfce 4.4.2, gcc 4.1.2 and glibc 2.6.1.
A big thanks goes out to our release engineering team members  for
their hard work over many months to turn 2008.0 into reality.
Get the new release from our "Get Gentoo!" page .
Discuss this !
Developer, Gentoo Linux