From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-newbies@g.o, gentoo-announce@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] [gentoo-dev] Official Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc6 to Gentoo Linux 1.0 upgrade instructions
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:26:23
1 Hi all,
2
3 Here are the steps required to upgrade to Gentoo Linux 1.0:
4
5 # emerge --clean rsync
6
7 The "--clean" is important, as it will wipe out the 1.9.0 beta of
8 Portage that will actually not work for people. However, it *will*
9 erase any changes you've made inside /usr/portage, so back up any
10 changes you've made in /usr/portage first. If you're using anoncvs, an
11 "cvs -q update -dP" in /usr/portage will do the same thing but will not
12 erase any of your customizations.
13
14 Next, we need to switch from the default-1.0_rc6 to the default-1.0
15 profile, as follows:
16
17 # cd /etc
18 # rm make.profile
19 # ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0 make.profile
20
21 Now, with the new profile configured, Portage itself will see all the
22 new packages available, including the new version of Portage, which we
23 will merge first:
24
25 # emerge --pretend sys-apps/portage
26
27 This should indicate that it wants to merge a 1.8.9 (like 1.8.9.1)
28 version of Portage, and probably upgrade your fileutils too. If
29 everything looks good, type:
30
31 # emerge sys-apps/portage
32
33 You now have a new Portage installed, which has a number of new
34 capabilities. The first is cumulative USE variables. In
35 Portage-1.8.9+, use variables are calculated by taking those in
36 /etc/make.defaults/make.profile and *adding* them to the ones in
37 /etc/make.conf and then in the environment. That means that all the USE
38 variables in /etc/make.defaults will be turned on automatically --
39 *unless* you have a corresponding "-foo" in your use in /etc/make.conf
40 USE variable to turn it off. You can probably remove lots of USE
41 settings from your /etc/make.conf USE since they are now already set in
42 /etc/make.profile/make.defaults and thus redundant.
43
44 We also need to update /etc/make.globals to the latest-installed
45 version, since we have new Portage variables that 1.8.9 needs defined in
46 the latest file. Cd into /etc and type:
47
48 # ls ._cfg????_make.globals
49
50 Find the file with the largest number, and then type:
51
52 # mv ._cfg9999_make.globals make.globals (where 9999 is the largest #
53 you found, typically just a 0001)
54
55 The new make.globals is now installed. If you have a custom downloader
56 defined using FETCHCOMMAND in /etc/make.conf, comment it out -- we use a
57 new syntax for specifying them. Wget will work for us for now.
58
59 Now, we're ready to use the new emerge to update our system. Type:
60
61 # emerge --pretend --update system
62
63 This will show what will be upgraded. If you get circular dep errors,
64 do a "emerge system" and then repeat this step. That should remove the
65 circular dep error. Now, go ahead and upgrade your system "for real":
66
67 # emerge --update system
68
69 All your core system packages, including glibc, will be upgraded in
70 place. Once everything is rebuilt, you will need to spend some time
71 getting your new ._cfg????_* files in the /etc/ tree updated and
72 in-place. In particular, network settings are now defined in
73 /etc/conf.d/net, and the /etc/init.d/net.* files simply pull in their
74 settings from /etc/conf.d/net. In addition, local settings are now
75 stored in /etc/conf.d/local.start and local.stop, and /etc/init.d/local
76 sources these files. This makes it possible to add
77 CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK=/etc/init.d to your /etc/make.conf for
78 auto-rc-script updates after your transition to 1.0 is complete.
79
80 You should now have a fully-functional Gentoo Linux 1.0 system. I
81 strongly recommend that you read our in-progress Portage Manual at
82 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/portage-manual.html
83
84 Please also visit that URL over the next couple of days, since we will
85 be adding information very soon about our slick (yet confusing at first)
86 dynamic world profile and how to use it. For now, you may find that
87 "emerge --update world" does not update all the packages you want. To
88 fix this, edit /var/cache/edb/world and add a list of packages that you
89 want auto-upgraded, as follows:
90
91 gnome-base/gnome
92 net-irc/irssi
93
94 If you want to "pin" (prevent the upgrading of) a particular package,
95 you can add an "=" dep to the file instead of a generic dep:
96
97 =x11-base/xfree-4.2.0-r5
98
99 (Now xfree won't get auto-upgraded even if things in your world profile
100 depend upon X, which would normally cause it to be upgraded
101 automatically too).
102
103 As you emerge non-core packages, you'll notice a message at the end of
104 the emerge indicating that the package you just merged has been added to
105 your world "favorites" file (/var/cache/edb/world). Portage keeps track
106 of the things you merge and remembers to upgrade them during your next
107 "emerge --update world". If you don't want a package to be "remembered"
108 in this way, use the "--oneshot" option when emerging which tells emerge
109 to *not* record any command-line specified packages in the world
110 profile.
111
112 Portage uses the world profile to differentiate between packages that
113 you want to keep up-to-date (like maybe media-gfx/gimp) and those that
114 are "just dependencies" and should be updated as much as possible,
115 taking into account other dependencies. This way, if a package depends
116 on a specific version of a library, that library will not get
117 auto-upgraded to the absolute latest version, thus breaking the
118 package. It allows "--update world" to be "smart", rather than simply
119 trying to upgrade every package installed in an ad-hoc fashion.
120
121 Note that if you have kde-base/kde in your /var/cache/edb/world file,
122 and one of kde's dependencies is upgraded, yet no new kde-base/kde
123 version or revision is released, this dependency *will* be upgraded at
124 the next "emerge --update world". This ensures that you're running the
125 most recent, robust packages available and also ensures that there are
126 no unnecessary upgrades of packages that may cause dependencies to be
127 broken.
128
129 Enjoy Gentoo Linux 1.0 :)
130