From: "A. Jackson" <ajackson@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o, gentoo-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] GENTOO ANNOUNCES TOTAL WEBSITE MAKEOVER
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:18:37
1 Gentoo Linux today announced the launch of its new totally revamped and more
2 inclusive website which was built to conform to the CGA Web(TM) graphics
3 standards.
4
5 "Our previous website served the community superbly well for the past 10 years
6 but was frankly not as inclusive as we would have liked as it could not be
7 viewed by aspiring community members who did not have access to the latest
8 hardware," said a Gentoo Linux Council Member who asked not to be named.
9
10 "Dedicated community members worked all hours for many months to get the new
11 site ready for its launch today. We are proud of their efforts and are
12 convinced that the new site will be way more inclusive than ever and thereby
13 deepen the sense of community felt by all," they said.
14
15 "Gentoo Linux's seven-person council determined that the interests of the
16 community were not being served by the previous site and decided that it had to
17 be made more inclusive," said Web project lead Alex Legler (a3li). The
18 new site is also available via Gopher [1].
19
20 "What's the use of putting millions of colours out there when so many in the
21 world cannot appreciate them and who, indeed, may even feel disappointed by
22 their less capable hardware platforms," he said.
23
24 "We accept that members in more fortunate circumstances may feel that a site
25 with a 16-colour palette and an optimal screen resolution of 640 x 200 pixels
26 is not the best fit for their needs but we urge such members to keep the
27 greater good in mind. The vast majority of potential new Gentoo Linux users are
28 still using IBM XT computers, storing their information on 5.25-inch floppy
29 disks and communicating via dial-up BBS," said Roy Bamford (neddyseagoon), a
30 Foundation trustee.
31
32 "These people will be touched and grateful that their needs are now being taken
33 in account and that they will be able to view the Gentoo Linux site comfortably
34 on whatever hardware they have available."
35
36 "The explosion of gratitude will ensure other leading firms such as Microsoft
37 and Apple begin to move into conformance with CGA Web(TM) and it is hoped it
38 will help bring knowledge to more and more informationally-disadvantaged people
39 every year," said Daniel Robbins (drobbins), former Gentoo founder.
40
41 Several teams participated in the early development of the new website and would
42 like to showcase their work:
43
44 Games Team [2]
45 Multimedia Team [3]
46 Net-News Team [4]
47
48 Phase II
49
50 The second phase of the project to get Gentoo Linux to a wider user base will
51 involve the creation of floppy disk sets containing a compact version of the
52 operating system and a selection of software essentials. It is estimated that
53 sets could be created using less than 700 disks each and sponsorship is
54 currently being sought. The launch of Gentoo Disk(TM) can be expected in about a
55 year.
56
57 Media release prepared by A Jackson (ajackson@g.o)
58
59 Editorial inquiries: PR team (pr@g.o)
60
61 Interviews, photography and screen shots available on request.
62
63 [1] gopher://gopher.gentoo.org/
64 [2] https://www.gentoo.org/new-website/games/
65 [3] https://www.gentoo.org/new-website/multimedia/