From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-au@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-au] Buying an ultraportable
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:30:59
Just so you know, mark_alec said it's OK for me to spam the list with
this :p

After dragging my 4yo 15" laptop around with me during
(and the next week and a half whilst I visited rellies in Victoria),
I'm wanting to buy a new (ultraportable) laptop, so around the 12"
range.  As much as I hate to admit this, it looks like the best deal I
can find is the Dell Vostro 1200 (see attachment for how I've specced
it out).  The actual laptop is around $1550, with another $200 there to
buy an external 19" monitor to sit at home.  I'll also get at least 5%
off the price with the RACQ discount.

So, my questions are these: do people think this is a good laptop?  Is
it value for money?  Can you think of a better one in the same
size/pricepoint (I was originally looking at the HP Compaq Presario
B1246TU, which is $1.8k RRP with only 2 GB of RAM)?  Would I have any
problems under Gentoo on it (I plan on ditching Vista)?

Also, with the monitor: I plan on buying a docking station at home
(btw, anyone know of a good one that would work under Gentoo?) and keep
my external keyboard, tablet and an LCD monitor plugged in to it.  This
Dell monitor is about $200 extra for a 19" 1440x900.  Is this a good
deal? Or should I pay an extra $100 on top of that to get a 20"
168x1050 + free Sannheiser headset, or forget Dell and get an extra
monitor from elsewhere? (Note that from a quick google, etc. Dell
monitors seem to be quite good for their price).

In case you're interested, here are some photos someone posted of this

It's not the most attractive laptop, but looks OK.  Having the Fn key
on the left of the Ctrl key could take a bit getting used to,
though :s  If you go to the laptop's info page, it's also got a "tour":

Anyway, to get some of the deals on it (like the free mouse + carry
bag), I need to order by Monday, and by Thursday for the free RAM
upgrade, so please tell me what you think!

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic

File name MIME type
EM_CONF_391_29630101_160208_015050.HTML application/octet-stream
signature.asc application/pgp-signature

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-au] Buying an ultraportable "David P. Novakovic" <davidnovakovic@×××××.com>