From: Robert Raitz <pappy_mcfae@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-bsd@l.g.o" <gentoo-bsd@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-bsd] Just getting started.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 11:32:39
1 I am just getting started on this project, and I've run into multiple snags.
2
3 The first and worst is getting media that has a GUI to do the deed. My question is, since the wiki recommends using PCBSD, is the DVD live, or will I have to get a USB stick in order to have my live environment? I found a copy of the freesbie live CD after much searching, but it is just about as worthless a windows install disk. I can't get anything to function under it, even with the GUI.
6 I did have a chroot session going under the standard FreeBSD DVD using its so-called live CD function. However, I could only emerge --sync. Just trying to emerge portage caused all manner of grief.
7
8 So, I am making some forward progress, but not a lot. The portage tree is up to date, but that's where it stops. Any general purpose pointers would be appreciated. I really dig on Gentoo, and FreeBSD does have its strong points. I'd love to see what the two can do together.
9
10 Cheers,
11 Pappy