From: Javier Villavicencio <the_paya@g.o>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-bsd] G/FreeBSD: 8.0, (almost) new stages and removal of old versions
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:06:00
1 On 11/01/2010 12:00 p.m., Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I am going to remove all the freebsd ebuilds that are not 7.2; the 6.2
5 > profiles have been gone for a while and ebuilds are really not
6 > maintained, 7.1 profiles have been deprecated for a while too (2
7 > months). If anyone has objections, speak up now!
8 >
9 > For those of you who have not updated yet, it is probably simpler to
10 > start a fresh install from the 7.2 stages that I've pushed some months
11 > ago (see experimental/x86/freebsd/7.2/stages/ in the mirrors). I have
12 > not received rants against those stages so I'll assume they're fine :)
13 > About sparc-fbsd, I have (thanks to Monkeh) access to a sparc-fbsd box
14 > where I've put a 7.2 but the port is more surviving than anything else.
15 > The box doesn't have enough disk space to build stages for example,
16 > thus I am nowhere near to be able to push new stages.
17 >
18 > As for 8.0, I'll start playing with it now; if any of you have started
19 > to play with it and wanna share the experience, please poke me.
20 >
21 > Regards,
24 > Alexis.
25
26 I've got some stuff for 8.0 done, but it's getting quite hard to work
27 with as the stages progress.
28 For example, after freebsd-lib gets compiled, portage (actually python)
29 stops working (it keeps emerging things until it fails then resuming
30 doesn't work). The reason? The new tty code on fbsd, where portage
31 attempts to get a tty, it's there that it dies.
32 I've been patching portage (2 lines) for this, but it got very annoying
33 at some point, plus summer and no AC keeps me away from going back to
34 stage building unless it's cloudy outside.
35 Other than that, it seems it's going to be easier to build the stages
36 from 8.0 instead of uprading from 7.2, which doesn't sound too good :+(
37
38 I'll check if my access to our git repo still works and upload what I
39 have in ebuilds there (bunch of updated patches that could be useful).
40
41 Salu2,
42 Javier.