From: Nathan Smith <ndansmith@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-bsd] G/FBSD TCP Troubles
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:44:00
1 Alex Unleashed wrote:
2 > On 3/19/07, *Nathan Smith* <ndansmith@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:ndansmith@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > So anyhow, I am making due, but it is a frustrating problem to say the
7 > least. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :-)
10 > I would start capturing a reasonable amount of network traffic showing
11 > normal and error conditions, if at all possible on both ends to confirm
12 > there's nothing wrong with some machine within the path. FWIW, I recall
13 > hearing people having problems with FreeBSD's SACK in the past, though
14 > that should be fixed by now. Anyway, you have good hints on how to
15 > approach a closer analysis in this mail thread:
16 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-December/012830.html
17 >
18 > Alex
19
20 I've attached the highlights of what I've been able to tell with tcpdump
21 as of yet. These packets were captured by a Gentoo Linux machine
22 running apache (all of the requests are HTTP). The transmitting
23 computer in each case is the same machine (IBM Thinkpad Z60t - Pentium
24 M), but either the OS, or some feature of Gentoo/FreeBSD is altered for
25 each sample. These two machines were at the same location with no
26 firewall and few routers separating them.
27
28 There is a little annotation in the file, but in essence the Linux box
29 replied to packets which were sent from non-Gentoo/FreeBSD systems
30 (Linux and FreeSBIE), and did not reply to the Gentoo/FreeBSD system. I
31 varied the tcp window size, and I also tried turning rfc1323 on and off.
32 I've also altered the mtu and max-mss with no success. The common
33 denominator in the packets which failed to get a response is that they
34 have bad checksums. If you compare the first packet listed (G/FBSD) and
35 the packet from the FreeSBIE liveCD, you will see that they are
36 identical in every pertinent way except that the packets coming from the
37 G/FBSD machine were mangled.
38
39 Apparently these packets are objectionable to some routers and not
40 others. Depending on where I am, I can connect to some sites and not
41 others (and never gentoo-sunrise.org :-( ). I set up a packet capture
42 on my home machine and send HTTP requests from the G/FBSD box at work,
43 and the packets never arrived.
44
45 Now it is just a matter of finding out _why_ they packets are getting
46 messed up. It is apparently not a TCP window scaling problem (toggling
47 that has no effect), and it is not a FreeBSD proble, (FreeSBIE on the
48 same hardware works great), it is apparently a breakage in Gentoo/FBSD.
51 Nathan Smith
52 ndansmith@×××××.com

gfbsd.pcap text/plain
signature.asc application/pgp-signature