From: Javier Villavicencio <the_paya@g.o>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-bsd] Gentoo/FBSD Install
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 01:09:28
1 On 11/04/2011 15:32, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > I'd like to set up a Gentoo/FBSD install to test some packages, but the
3 > docs are out of date and I can't figure it out myself. Has anyone set
4 > one up recently? If so, can it be explained relatively painlessly?
8 First, familiarize yourself with installing vanilla FreeBSD.
9 Specifically the partitioning (bsd labels and such) and boot process.
10
11 Second, boot off any FreeBSD-8.x kernel bootable media, and get a shell
12 interface.
13
14 Third, unpack the stage3 and continue to install as if it was a Gentoo
15 install, bear in mind the obvious FreeBSD differences (kernel
16 compilation, modules loaded in the bootloader, etc).
17
18 Troubleshooting should be easy if you got the second step right.
19
20 As of now, a bunch of @system currently keyworded ~x86-fbsd doesn't
21 compile/work as it should. Help (as in: patches, bugs with proper
22 patches reported upstream) is always welcome.