From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:39:01
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 cg> We don't do any shortcuts simply because we *are* the catalyst
4 cg> developers. When we find shortcomings in catalyst, we fix them. ;]
5
6 >> If there are no fancy tricks that I'm missing I'm sure I can come up
7 >> with some myself :-).
8
9 cg> Like I said before, I'm not sure I really follow what you're
10 cg> trying to do.
11
12 Hi Chris; thanks for taking the time to reply!
13
14 I completely see your viewpoint here. My situation is that I'm trying
15 to add somewhat more esoteric software to my livecd than comes on a
16 "typical" livecd. Some of it doesn't even have any Gentoo ebuilds, so
17 I'm writing them myself. For ebuilds that are in Gentoo, I need to run
18 emerge -p to see what would be pulled in, investigate the USE flags in
19 the ebuilds to see if I can turn off features I don't like, then see
20 what would be pulled in, etc. Also, to find out what I can unmerge and
21 still have the thing work properly.
22
23 In a situation like this it's very time consuming to have to rebuild
24 livecd1 and then livecd2 every time I need to tweak an ebuild or add or
25 remove a package, so I was looking for a "development mode" where things
26 were maybe not as clean, but were "good enough" to allow development
27 work to proceed quickly. Then obviously there's polishing at the end
28 that would have to be done more cleanly.
31 I quite understand your position: you are using ostensibly stable Gentoo
32 packages and your work is focused on making sure Catalyst works. I'm
33 using unstable/development packages and assuming that Catalyst is stable.
34
35 Anyway, I think I have enough now to work with for the moment; adding in
36 libstdc++ works (I did this last night but forgot to send email), and I
37 can bind-mount the snapshot and chroot and that works as well.
38
39 My current project is understanding where the kernel boot parameters
40 come from (my bootline has "nodhcp" which I don't want). My other
41 problem is that the hardware detection stuff is running too late in the
42 "default" boot process; it brings up eth0, then sshd, then apache,
43 _THEN_ runs the hardware detection. So, I can't quite figure out how it
44 brings up eth0 without detecting the hardware... maybe it runs twice?
45 Hm.
48 Cheers for now!
52 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
53 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
55 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
56 --
57 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list