From: Derek Davis <derek.davis@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] HPPA catalyst liveCD won't boot
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:34:08
1 I'm trying to make an HPPA live CD using catalyst, but it seems that
2 nothing is working correctly for me. The main problem that I'm running
3 into now is that when I try to boot, palo says that it can't find any
4 32-bit kernels. I've even gone so far as to grab the kernel right from
5 the working Gentoo liveCD, and I still get the same error, so I'm
6 figuring that my problem is either how I'm making the iso or how I'm
7 running palo on the iso, but both of those commands I pulled right from
8 catalyst.
9
10 So here's the summary. I'm using catalyst version 2.0.6 and palo
11 1.5_pre20040515. I have a directory with initrd, vmlinux, vmlinux64 and
12 livecd in it, as well as the kernels and initrd in a subdirectory called
13 boot, just in case. boot also contains iplboot and palo.conf. palo.conf
14 is as follows:
15
16 --commandline=0/vmlinux initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
17 looptype=squashfs loop=/image.loop
18 --bootloader=boot/iplboot
19 --ramdisk=boot/initrd
20
21 In order to make the ISO, I run:
22
23 mkisofs -R -l -J -V "My LiveCD 5.0 HPPA" -o /root/My_LiveCD_HPPA.iso
24 /var/tmp/catalyst/builds/default/livecd-stage2-hppa1.1-5.0/
25
26 Then, from within the directory livecd-stage2-hppa1.1-5.0, I run:
27
28 palo -C /root/My_LiveCD_HPPA.iso -f boot/palo.conf
29
30 which results in:
31
32 palo version 1.14 root@hake Sun Mar 4 20:59:31 Local time zone must be
33 set--see zic manual page 2007
34 ipl: addr 226455552 size 36864 entry 0x0
35 ko 0x0 ksz 0 k64o 0x0 k64sz 0 rdo 0 rdsz 0
36 <>
37 ipl: addr 226455552 size 36864 entry 0x0
38 ko 0x0 ksz 0 k64o 0x0 k64sz 0 rdo 204414976 rdsz 858774
39 <0/vmlinux initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs
40 loop=/image.loop>
41
42 I then burn the ISO using cdrecord, and boot on an HP k series machine.
43 When I tell it to boot from the CD, it shows me the same config that I
44 specified in palo.conf, but when I tell it to continue booting, it says
45 that I've chosen the kernel I specified, but then that it can't find any
46 32-bit kernels. It then returns to the prompt to edit the palo.conf
47 details.
48
49 Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? In case
50 it's relevant, catalyst actually failed in many ways to make this CD
51 before this point. For instance, mksquashfs would hang every time and in
52 the same spot. Even when I created a directory with a single file in it
53 and try to make a squashfs, mqsquashfs would hang at 100% and never
54 create the result. Also, the way that catalyst would execute palo would
55 fail, because it was looking for boot/palo.conf, but catalyst wasn't
56 running palo from within a directory that contained boot/palo.conf. Even
57 compiling the default hppa kernel when using the 2007.0 stage file and
58 portage snapshot failed with compile errors. I've worked around those
59 problems for now, but this last one has me stumped.
60
61 I've googled for this problem, and even looked a bit in the palo source
62 code, but haven't found anything helpful yet.
63
64 Sorry for the lengthy message. Hopefully this provides enough info for
65 someone to see the problem. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
66
67 Derek