From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Error messages during startup
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 20:45:43
1 On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 14:36 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > 1) Early in the boot process I get an error message saying I "passed an
3 > undefined mode number", then it asks me to choose a console mode
4 > (80x24, etc.) What do I need to do to have it pick one without
5 > asking me?
6
7 Does your monitor support 1024x768? Also, did you enable framebuffer
8 support in your kernel?
9
10 > 2) It then asks me what keymap I want; what do I need to do to have it
11 > just choose the default keymap?
12
13 You need to edit the x86-archscript.sh file and remove "dokeymap" from
14 the options.
15
16 The keymap selection times out after 10 seconds, I believe.
17
18 > 3) It then can't find /etc/mtab, and I get this:
19 >
20 > >> Booting.warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
21 > ..
22 > Segmentation fault
23 > *: Failed to unmount the initrd!
24 > INIT: version 2.84 booting
25 >
26 > then it appears to continue properly, but this doesn't look good.
27 > Ideas as to this? /etc/mtab is supposed to be managed by mount, I
28 > thought... why isn't it here? And what's dumping core?
29
30 Bug #79218
31
32 > 4) Then it tries to start devfsd but can't find /sbin/devfsd. What I
33 > really want is to run udev on here, not devfs. Thoughts on this?
34
35 Did you use livecd/devmanager: udev?
38 Chris Gianelloni
40 Games - Developer