From: David Bryson <mutex@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] cascades
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:13:19
1 Hi all,
2 Haven't seen any traffic on the list since I subscribed, so I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone was listening.
3
4 I was playing around with cascading profiles recently, specifically packages.build, and I noticed that it cascades the same as all other files in profiles.
5
6 However, it seemed to me that the way the build order was structured was odd.
7 If I have the following setup:
8
9 /foo/packages.build = "sys-pretend/alice"
10 /foo/bar/packages.build = "sys-pretend/bob"
11
12 (= is the contents of the file)
13
14 The build order will be:
15 emerge bob
16 emerge alice
17
18 It would seem as though the parent package.builds would be more likely to contain standard libraries and support packages, and the children package.builds would include slightly more specific packages that depended on the parent librariies.
19
20 Thoughts on reversing the build order in catalyst for packages.build ?