From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst still error with "splash setup"
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:48:26
1 On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 10:10 -0500, Kessler, Paul wrote:
2 > I did some digging on the kernel caching and this is definately the problem. Once I fixed that the build went perfectly, gensplash, auto login the works. I now have a completely functional base system running gnome. I booted it on my home system when I got back from work last night, it detected all of my hardware, configured my video and networking. I was up and able to surf the net no problem. Now I need to look at speading up the load. My image is 460 some megs and takes a bit of time to load the tmpfs. I suppose I could switch from Gnome to XFCE2 and that would really help. I appreciate the help Chris and Andrew have given me. Cheers and have a great weekend!
3
4 This is copied verbatim from my fsscript.sh:
5
6 # This is my hack to reduce tmpfs usage
7 mkdir -p /usr/livecd
8 mv /usr/portage/profiles /usr/livecd
9 mv /usr/portage/eclass /usr/livecd rm
10 -rf /usr/livecd/profiles/{co*,default-{1*,a*,b*,d*,h*,i*,m*,p*,s*,x*},g*,hardened-*,n*,x*}
11 mv /etc/gconf /usr/livecd
12 mv /var/db /usr/livecd
13
14 Now, you don't need /usr/portage/* or /var/db, so clean those in
15 livecd-stage2's empty. You *will* have a *huge* /etc/gconf, though.
16 This has to be copied to the tmpfs on every boot. It usually is
17 somewhere around 30-60MB when running Gnome. The default
18 livecd-local.start that ships with catalyst (remember when I told you to
19 make sure you kept all of the original stuff in there when you made your
20 own) will automatically setup the symlink for /etc/gconf
21 -> /usr/livecd/gconf, and it'll save you copying that entire thing from
22 CD, plus it'll reduce tmpfs usage.
25 Chris Gianelloni
27 Games - Developer
28 Gentoo Linux