From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How did package XYZ get into the liveCD?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:31:23
1 Thanks.
2 Seems like I missed a major design concept of catalyst. Might I have
3 skipped the documentation that specifies this concept? I've read the
4 manpage, as-well-as
5 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_with_Catalyst_for_newbies,
6 the FAQ and the examples. But I couldn't really infer this from any of
7 those.
8
9 More so, In the catalyst FAQ
10 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/faq.xml), I read:
11
12 when catalyst builds a stage1, the stage1 itself does not inherit any
13 binaries or libraries from the seed that is used.
14
15 Is that FAQ obsolete? the "seed" is the original stage3, right? Looks
16 like my stage1 (and the livecd stage too) did in-fact inherit binaries
17 from the seed.
18
19 Amit
22 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
23 > Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
24 >> So, I'm confused. Which parts of the liveCD get built and which are
25 >> just copied from the initial stage3 tarball?
26 >
27 > *Everything* is copied from the stage3 tarball. That's how catalyst
28 > works. Each step builds upon the previous step.